Monday, March 28, 2011

CHAPTER 19: Decisive Moment

I had absolutely no idea what the true intent of this PM was until I saw the golden “N” at the bottom of the message. Whether it be my true skills as an assassin or the fact that Dr_Peppy was out for me must have caught their eye. By the sound of this message, it was a very serious job offer at a very secure organization, but I was torn as to whether to accept this new assignment and venture down this new path. After all, this was more than just a privately contracted job; this was actual employment that would probably expend most if not all of my time. Plus, I would probably have to forget about killing X-Naut128 if I chose to join their group. Accepting the job offer would put quite a delay on anything trivia-related, but this opportunity might never arise again. Additionally, it would probably better my abilities as a fighter and a killer, as I am sure their training facilities were top-of-the-line. However, it was a strange conflict of emotions for me, as I always hated those spammers and flamers who were hired by this powerful crime organization. Spamming and flaming has had quite the negative impact on the forum; some parts of Power On are practically infested with this type of behavior. Yet being a member would definitely make me better off financially than I would be without the position, even with the income from trivia. Moreover, I would probably get to tackle professional missions more often rather than petty killings or crimes out of necessity. Surely my skills would be put to better use if I joined their force.

Despite all of these obvious pros, I was still at a bit of a crossroads. Joining this force would mean discontinuing my current self-driven mission…and what if it were all a ploy to turn me over to Dr. Peppy? I had no knowledge of an affiliation between this group and Dr. Peppy, but that man is so damn secretive that I could not make such an assumption. Time passed as I sat on a stone wall in the Mario Board and contemplated my current predicament. A few users glanced at me as they walked by, since I was sitting perfectly still in plain sight, but I did not let it faze me. Before I knew it, the sun had set and there were only two and a half hours remaining until I had to meet the organization’s correspondent, presumably AntiRocketCloudy. I had never met the user before and the location was quite suspicious, so I would definitely have to be on my guard upon meeting him. Even though I analyzed the situation for such a lengthy amount of time, I still decided that I needed some help with the scenario. Composing a private message to ThePastaKing, my most trusted ally, I asked if we could meet somewhere tonight to further discuss the matter at hand. About fifteen minutes later, I received a timely and friendly response.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM: THEPASTAKING Remove User from Friends List – Add User to Ignore List

SENT: 08/17/07 – 6:39 P.M.

Sure, dude, you know I’m always up for talking about this stuff. I’m over in the Nintendo Wi-Fi boards right now just taking care of some business. I can meet you near the Bulletin Board if you like. Let me know and I’ll be there.

Your Highness,

ThePastaKing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laughing at his pathetic sign-off, I replied confirming that I received the message and agreeing on the meeting place. I set out for the Bulletin Board, which was conveniently on the way to The Rank Thread anyway. The Bulletin Board’s function on NSider is self-explanatory – it is where NOAs and other moderators post important news and information regarding the community. Their news posts appear on a gigantic digital screen that is probably about three stories tall, which users can electronically download on their PM devices and view at their leisure. It is usually a pretty busy place early in the morning and midday, as many users try to read the latest news as soon as possible, but it is pretty calm and quiet come nightfall. Thus, it was the perfect place for ThePastaKing and I to have our discussion. I moved at a hastened pace towards the Bulletin Board, trying to conserve my strength if the whole situation with AntiRocketCloudy did turn out to be a trap of some sort. However, I was still a bit confused as to how the organization had been monitoring me. It could have been a tracking device, but I feel like I would have noticed it by now. Information apparently spreads quickly on NSider, as I thought I kept my current predicament relatively secret. Maybe someone from the trivia challenge found out and the news spread but, whatever the case may be, I didn’t let it concern me too much. Since this was a golden opportunity for me to finally make a name for myself as a reputable assassin, I tried not to focus on the past too much. What mattered now was making up my mind as to whether or not I should join them. Besides, I would probably find out soon enough from one source or another regardless of my choice.

When I reached the Bulletin Board I scanned the crowd for ThePastaKing and was surprised to find him already waiting there for me, leaned up against a nearby storefront. I walked up to him and, hearing my footsteps on the cobblestone road, ThePastaKing turned around to greet me. “Ah! My shadowy friend, you are here at last. I thought you were supposed to be the fast one…so why is my royal ass here waiting for you?” He stood with a smug look on his face, proud that he beat me to the scene as we shook hands. I happened to notice that he had a large bazooka-like weapon strapped to his back and inquired, “So…what’s with the big gun?” “Oh this?” he said with a chuckle, “It’s my rigatoni rocket I told you so much about. I don’t think I actually showed you it yet, but man it packs a punch.” Confused as to what ThePastaKing could have been doing with such a weapon, I asked “Why are you carrying it around with you now?” He retained his composure and shrugged off my question saying, “Hey, aren’t you the subject of this meeting? What have you been up to?” I was curious to know what was going on, but time was of the essence and I decided that it would be better to get on with matters of higher priority.

“Fine…have it your way…” I said, looking away from him, “I just got an offer that you’re not going to believe.” I could tell that the look on ThePastaKing’s face was beckoning me to continue, so I did, “I got a PM from a user by the name of AntiRocketCloudy…” “Oh him?” ThePastaKing remarked, cutting off my sentence. “He’s an F-Zero Pilot you know… pretty high up in the ranks.” “I could tell by his PM,” I replied, “but how do you know him?” After thinking for a few seconds, ThePastaKing finally responded, “You know, I’ve just seen him in passing a lot. He tends to hang around the Epic Center and even the Mario Board sometimes. I’m surprised you don’t know him.” “I see…” I responded, struggling to remember if I had ever seen this user. “Ah well…” I finally remarked, my memory failing me, and continued my story, “So he invited me to join a major group…an organization if you will…” “Ha! Ha!” ThePastaKing laughed, his voice trailing off, “Ha!..... Ha!...Hmm…” I forwarded my private message to ThePastaKing and he received it in his inbox in mere instants. Sharing a similar reaction, he was shocked to see the unmistakable golden N at the bottom of the message.

“You don’t mean…” ThePastaKing said, awestruck by what he had just read. “Yes, them…” I replied sternly as I found myself staring into the bright full moon in the sky above, “But how do you know about that?” Thinking for a moment, ThePastaKing retorted, “You’ve told me about many things before, my friend. That was probably one of them.” “I guess…” I said, trusting his word. “Well that certainly changes things…” ThePastaKing said, trailing off at the end of his sentence and, following a brief pause, then continued, “Well that sounds like quite an opportunity, even if it is a less than reputable group. What are you going to do?” “I don’t know…” I said, “I’ve been thinking about it for the past few hours. I hate how organizations like these hire spammers to do their dirty work…but… at the same time the cardinals are quite skilled and I could probably learn to become a better fighter.” “Seems to me like a double-edged sword…” ThePastaKing said with an insightful look on his face, “What of the trivia?”

Nodding at the sound of his valid inquiry, I replied, “I know, that’s just the thing. There’s no way I would be able to do both. PowerToMario would have to manage things while I’m gone.” “I’m sure he would be able to do that.” ThePastaKing said with confidence in PowerToMario’s abilities, “Even if he needs help, I can help him in the contest’s management…so long as you give me permission.” “Of course, you don’t have to ask me for that…” I said, becoming slightly sidetracked, “You know PowerToMario never got back to me about the 1337…” “Hm?” ThePastaKing said, wanting to know more of my current predicament. Realizing I may have slipped and said too much, I quickly stiffened and ignored his question, though he was probably already satisfied with what he heard. “Interesting…” he muttered, “…very interesting…” I remained silent, hoping that he would wander off the subject, but as I should have expected, ThePastaKing said, “Why’d you have him look into the 1337. I mean, it’s unlike you to devote time to such… foolish things.” “Well what is my time devoted to now?” I asked rhetorically, “Easy killings or stealing petty posts… I wanted to change it up a bit.” “Ugh” ThePastaKing scoffed, “I’m glad that you deal with all that crap. It’s…” he paused, “…a shame it even exists.” I replied, “I hate it yet rely on it at the same time. Ironic, isn’t it?” “Heh yeah…” ThePastaKing laughed half-heartedly before resuming to the discussion about the 1337.

“So about the 1337…” Before he could squeeze any more information out of me, though, I attempted to quickly cut him off. “It’s not what you think! They’re not…and I’m not…” Struggling for words, I tried to wipe the grin from ThePastaKing’s smug face, but it seemed like an insurmountable task. “I know you wouldn’t be wasting your time with something that’s simply an urban legend if you didn’t have some evidence or something” ThePastaKing said, “so what made you start?” “Ugh…” I sighed, “I just overheard a Sage talking about it. Decided to look into it. Haven’t found anything yet.” “I see…” He said, sounding somewhat disappointed that I was so vague in my explanation, “Do you know the intentions of AntiRocketCloudy or any of them?” Surprised that the conversation shifted in such a direction, I retorted, “Where did that come from!?” “Oh…” He said, “Sorry, I was just…thinking… if they know you know something they also know it would make sense to recruit you.” “Honestly” I replied, “I didn’t even think about that.” ThePastaKing presented a very valid point: if the group knew that I was aware of the 1337’s existence or at least heard about it when Falcon6 showed off his trinket, it would make sense for me to join up with them if their objective was even remotely related to the 1337. Digging for information by myself was one thing, but having the security of this group would escalate it to a whole new level. It had to have been more than coincidence that they took interest in hiring me now.

“Well…” ThePastaKing spoke out, interrupting my thought process, “I say go for it! Even if trivia has to be sacrificed, PowerToMario and I can pick up the slack. By the sounds of it, it’s pretty serious and you probably won’t get this offer again. In fact, I’m a little envious myself.” “Yeah…” I said jokingly, “Like they would ever pick someone like you.” “Hey!” He shouted, “This rigatoni rocket isn’t just for show, you know!? Want an up-close-and-personal demonstration!?” “No..jeez…” I said defensively, “Sorry…” “Dude, it was clearly sarcasm,” he said, making me look like a fool, “I’ll be the first to admit that there’s a big difference between our fighting abilities. You are definitely cut out for the job.” Regardless of ThePastaKing’s encouragement, I was still slightly scared to accept this new position; after all, this was a widely-known underground criminal organization and each assignment I undertake in the future could potentially be my last. I also had a strange sense of confidence, as I knew my decision was not made rashly. It was slowly becoming more and more apparent that it was the right thing to do. I could always fall back on the trivia contest if events played out poorly, but accepting AntiRocketCloudy’s invitation was the way to go.

Looking back at ThePastaKing, I said, “You’re right…but as always our conversations remain confidential.” “I know, I know,” he said, signaling with his hands that it was not a big deal, “Don’t you worry about that oh shadowy one. You finally have a chance to put your talents to better use…at least from a personal point of view.” “Yeah…” I said with a chuckle, “I wonder how…” Noticing me pause for a moment, ThePastaKing butted it, “…how what?” “Oh…” I said reluctantly, “I was just thinking…I wonder how my dad would feel about this.” I kicked a small rock on the ground and ThePastaKing could almost definitely sense my troubled emotions. “Well,” he began, “I’m sure he would be proud in his son’s strength, that’s for sure. I never met the man, but from what you’ve told me, he put a great emphasis on combative power. Do you know if he ever worked for something like this?” “I don’t know…” I said, pausing to think for a moment, “He never really told me much about his past… In fact, he often avoided the subject…” We were both silent for a few seconds, avoiding eye contact with each other. “He…said…” I said slowly trying to recall this distant memory, “…He said it would be better left unsaid. Yes… I remember those exact words from him. Maybe he didn’t want me to get involved with whatever he was a part of… or maybe he just didn’t want to set impossible expectations for me.” I glanced down at my left dagger, which was secured in its holster. I took it out and I could see my reflection in the blade illuminated by the moonlight, focusing in particular at the scar on my cheek. “Whatever the reason,” ThePastaKing remarked, interrupting my reflective state, “I’m sure he would be pleased.” Realizing that this was probably the wrong time or place to continue this particular conversation, I slid the dagger back in its holster and nodded in agreement.

“Well…” I said, “It’s time for me to head out. Wish me luck…and thanks for meeting me on such short notice.” “No problem,” ThePastaKing said, “I’ve been there almost since the trivia contest’s beginning to help. If you ever need me, just drop me a PM and I’ll be there.” “Will do,” I said as I started walking towards the Tech Support board, hearing ThePastaKing’s footsteps walking in the opposite direction. I looked back towards him as he appeared to be heading back north, perhaps towards the central part of the forum. Based on just a quick glance, it looked as if he was fiddling around with his PM watch. Maybe he was re-reading AntiRocketCloudy’s message or checking his inbox. Not wanting to interfere with his personal business and figuring that he already helped me enough to deserve some privacy, I paid it no mind and continued towards the Tech Support board.

The Tech Support board is where everyone in NSider can go if they have any sort of problem; mostly those related with forum functionality, hence the name. Help threads there range from refurbishing old weapons to fixing broken PM devices to answering general questions about the forum. In addition, it is the location of NSider Laboratories, the locale of many technological breakthroughs in the community. Towards the center of this board, one can see a skyscraper that towers over the other edifices, which can instantly be identified as the iconic Rank Thread. The Rank Thread was where all of the information about ranks on the forum could be obtained and it was often flooded with users checking when they would rank up or newcomers hopeful of becoming Plumbers in the distant future. Like I said before, a common NSider stereotype and one that is often true is that a user’s rank is a relatively accurate measure of his or her fighting ability, so this thread becomes a particularly popular place before a major tournament, as fighters find it advantageous to look up potential competition. Since the Power On Power-Up Tournament officially began on September 1st, 2007, just 15 days away, the thread was packed with users from Cappies to Metroids. This led me to question why this AntiRocketCloudy wanted to meet in such a populated area, as he must have been aware of the increased traffic. Regardless, as instructed by the message, I went down the dark alley in the rear of the building, which was actually pretty spacious once I made my way through a hole in a chain-link fence. Even though the passage was not well lit, I could see the figure of a user leaning with his back against the wall, undoubtedly waiting for me. As I advanced towards him with my right hand on my dagger just in case, he turned to face me.

“Hee hee…so you’ve come…” He said, in somewhat maniacal and higher-pitched voice, “You must be ShadowMario41, yes?” “I am,” I affirmed, “and you must be AntiRocketCl” “HMPH!” He said loudly, interrupting me, “Do not refer to me as such! If you wish to work with us, my name is PrinceLudwig. Is that clear?” “Uhh…” I said, caught off guard at such a request, “Sure, that’s fine.” His speech fluctuated between a fast and slow pace, which sounded scary and intimidating in a most unusual way. “Most excellent…” Even though I could not see his face in the darkness, I could tell that he was happy that I obliged to his request. “Now…” he continued, “You have been selected to work for the Nicolai93 Organization. I don’t need to explain to you the importance of this position.” I was certain of my choice to join, but I still hesitated, demanding more information out of this mysterious user. “What exactly will my position be?” Even though it probably would not have changed my overall choice, it still would have been nice to know more of what I was getting myself into. Unfortunately, though, he simply replied, “Wee hee! You will find that out once you’ve made your choice!” I could not see it, but I could tell that he had a large grin across his face. “Fine…” I muttered, realizing that I did not have an option at this point. Leaning in close, he whispered in my ear, “What’ll it be?”

After clearing my throat, I replied clearly and confidently, “I accept…” at which point I was locked into my choice. “I was hoping you would say that…” The mysterious figure replied, and then remained silent for a moment. Unaware of what was going on, I simply stood there waiting for a reply. In an instant, though, a faint light appeared in the air about a foot in front of PrinceLudwig’s right arm. I was taken by surprise for a moment before I noticed that he was not unarmed; he was holding a golden magic wand and was in the middle of casting a spell. He must have been able to conjure it up while holding a conversation, which is quite an impressive feat. I tried to raise my defenses but it was far too late for that. The surprisingly quick attack generated a ball of light, which flew at me in a flash, striking me square in the abdomen. The pain I felt was only for a moment, but it was so intense that I fell to the ground hard on my knees, and then finally collapsed on the ground of the alleyway. The last thing I remember hearing before blacking out was his footsteps moving towards me as I lay there helpless, unable to move a muscle. My fate rested in the hands of the mysterious PrinceLudwig, a member of the Nicolai93 Organization that I had met just moments ago. My unconscious person was at his mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment