Sunday, April 10, 2011

CHAPTER 21: The Elite Plans

Although I fell asleep very quickly, I awoke feeling somewhat sore. Perhaps it was that I was not used to such commodities like a comfortable bed or that I was fatigued from the events that transpired in the past few days. Whatever the case may be, I rolled over and checked my PM watch. I saw that it was 9:30 AM and that I had received two new messages overnight. As I sat up and wiped my eyes, I checked out the first message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM: NICOLAI93 Add User to Friends List – Add User to Ignore List

SENT: 08/19/07 1:00 A.M.

Message to all cardinals:

We will be meeting in the main hall at 10:00 sharp this morning. For our new members, it’s the same room you were in last night. We will discuss sensitive new plans and attendance is mandatory. See you there!

~Nicolai93

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only had a half-hour to get ready and be presentable for Nicolai93 and the other cardinals; I definitely did not want to show up late on my first day for the new job. Still, it would only take me about ten minutes to get ready, so I had plenty of time to view the other message I received.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM: POWERTOMARIO Remove User from Friends List – Add User to Ignore List

SENT: 08/19/07 5:56 A.M.

Hello ShadowMario41, I trust that you are doing well. In the past two days, I had exhaustively researched the extensive archive of NSider’s history for information on the 1337. Unfortunately facts about this mysterious item are limited, but I did manage to come across one thing.

According to one text I read, the 1337 is an artifact of unknown origin… presumably crafted by the NOAs… that was originally going to be used by NOA_Shaun to create an unstoppable military force known as the “Pickle Army.” Other NOAs, though, decided that it was too dangerous to have an artifact like that in case it fell into the wrong hands. If that happened, even the NOAs could be overwhelmed and the community would be consumed by chaos. The item was supposed to be destroyed many years ago… However, NOA_Shaun supposedly hid the item instead of destroying it so that its power could be utilized in case of an emergency. It seems to me like he didn’t want to throw away his dream of having a loyal army of tremendous power. The item was hidden in an extremely secure location that is heavily guarded, but so far no one has ever laid eyes upon it.

Sorry but that’s all I could find out. Like I said before, information was limited about this children’s tale, though it seems like it could be more than that now. It’s only one source… so you may not want to read too much into it, but that’s what I found. I hope this was adequate. Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took me a few moments to soak in all of the information that PowerToMario had sent me via private message. At least one source other than Falcon6 or urban legends confirmed or, at the very least, hinted towards the existence of the 1337. Armed with this new knowledge, I was determined to find out what I could do to get my hands on such an object. I sent a reply thanking PowerToMario for his helpful information and slowly stood up, stretching my legs. Now, though, I had to focus on working for the Nicolai93 Organization, as I expected the pay to be quite high from this notorious group. Much to my surprise, there was a set of clean robes hanging on the wall beside me in my exact size. I changed quickly and left my bedroom, only to find LordCrumpTheGreat standing in the hallway.

“Hey…” she said with a hint of nervousness in her voice, “Good morning… w-what’s up?” “Nothing…” I replied, “Are you ok? You seemed pretty worn out yesterday.” She scratched the back of her head with her left hand and smiled big before saying, “Heh…yeah… that teleporter really made my stomach turn.” She looked towards the ground and kicked the floor as if she wanted to tell me something. “Is there…” I asked hesitantly, “…something you want to tell me?” “Well…” she started, “this is kind of embarrassing but… I didn’t want to walk into the main hall alone. I feel a little scared around these guys. You seem…strong and confident sooooo… do you think you can walk with me?” As much as it pained me to work alongside an X-Naut, I knew I would have to get used to it. Overcoming this prejudice was another challenge I had to face if I wanted to keep my employment in this organization. Under any other circumstances, I would have quickly declined the offer, but I did not want to start burning bridges on the first day. “Sure,” I said somewhat reluctantly, “If it will make you feel any better I don’t see why not.” “YAY!” She exclaimed as she leapt into the air, “THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!” “Umm…” I muttered, unsure of how to react to such a situation, “…no problem.”

The two of us walked side-by-side into the main hall where Nicolai93 and PrinceLudwig were already waiting for the meeting to begin. Nicolai93 was once again seated in his golden throne, but there was now a circular couch in the center of the room on which PrinceLudwig was seated. He motioned for the two of us to take a seat next to him with a hand gesture, to which we obliged, though LordCrumpTheGreat was initially somewhat hesitant to enter the grand hall. The couch, despite its metallic appearance (matching the overall décor of the room), was surprisingly comfortable. “Nice couch!” LordCrumpTheGreat exclaimed as she shifted around in her seat, “It’s so comfy!” “Pah…” PrinceLudwig scoffed, “You better enjoy the comfort now while it lasts because… we have much… excitement ahead of us.” “Indeed,” Nicolai93 stated in a booming voice, “It is rare that I have to call in new members for a mission, much less new cardinals. This may be our most important endeavor yet.” “Nicolai93…” I said after a brief pause, “Why did you hire us anyway? Why not promote someone else already working for you?” “Ha! Ha!” He laughed, “If you don’t want to be here then by all means… PrinceLudwig will show you the…” “No!” I hastily interrupted, not wanting to compromise my position so soon, “I-I respect your decision.” “I knew you would,” Nicolai93 replied with a smirk, “I’ll tell you if you manage to survive your first mission. Until then…well…” Nicolai93 pondered for a moment, stroking his chin with his right hand before resuming, “Hmm…Let’s just say we may all be on the same side. Why be enemies if we’re after the same thing?”

I was going to inquire as to what exactly he meant, but the door opposite the one LordCrumpTheGreat and I entered from opened to reveal a fully healthy and revitalized GamePlayer30, armored and ready for action. “Hey guys! I made it!” GamePlayer30 exclaimed as he started to run towards us, but stopped and grimaced in pain, “Oooh… gotta walk slow…” Armor clanking with each step, he eventually made his way to the couch and sat down as far away from PrinceLudwig as possible, who was stroking his magic scepter and staring maniacally at GamePlayer30. “Stop staring at me like that!” The nervous GamePlayer30 yelled at PrinceLudwig. “Heh …” the crazed magician responded, “How about a magic trick?” He paused for a moment then lashed out, “I’ll make your life disappear!” PrinceLudwig raised his scepter to attack GamePlayer30 when Nicolai93 interrupted, quelling the conflict, “Easy, you two! I know what your lust for violence is like, PrinceLudwig, but you’ll get your chance at the tournament.” “I…can hardly wait…” the mage responded in a low yet creepy tone.

Before I had the chance to ask, LordCrumpTheGreat spoke out, proposing the same question I had in mind, “Wait… tournament!? What tournament?” “You’ll find out once PikminMaster7 shows up.” Glancing down at his PM watch and then clenching his fist, Nicolai93 continued, “He better not be late this time. I already gave him a pass last week! How is this organization supposed to achieve perfection when –” As if on cue, the doors that I entered through a few minutes ago opened to reveal the final cardinal, again garbed in his purple robe and wielding his trusty rapier. “Ah, excellent!” Nicolai93 exclaimed in a radically different tone than before, “You’re here.” The user spun around stylishly and said, “Sorry if you expected anything less from a man like me.” “Ugh…” Both PrinceLudwig and GamePlayer30 scoffed as the user took a seat right next to LordCrumpTheGreat.

Much to her dismay, he leaned in closely, twirling his black hair with his left index finger. “Hey you…” he said softly, “I’m PikminMaster7… glad the boss finally decided to hire a lovely looking lady such as yourself.” Clearly aggravated, LordCrumpTheGreat folded her arms and looked away, which caused PikminMaster7’s expression to quickly change to one of disappointment. “Ohh…” He said, “Don’t be shy. I know it’s hard to resist my –” “What the hell is that smell!?” GamePlayer30 exclaimed as he quickly plugged his nose with his right hand. Taking a whiff of the air, I identified a very pungent aroma and copied the motion of GamePlayer30. “Did someone get sprayed by a dying skunk?” GamePlayer30 asked in a nasally voice due to his nose being covered. PikminMaster7 smelled the air before commenting, “Ah, that fragrance is my latest and greatest cologne. I had to put it on for working with our lovely new cardinal… both now and perhaps later tonight…” “Ugh!” LordCrumpTheGreat shrieked and slapped PikminMaster7 across the face, “How dare you!?” “You had that one coming, you know…” GamePlayer30 marked slyly, only to be slapped much in the same manner by PikminMaster7. “Shut up, you!” The rapier-wielding user yelled, to which PrinceLudwig responded, “Hey, you know…it’s not his fault that your sig shield… has a picture of Colette…” “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” PikminMaster7 screamed repeatedly, “She represents all that is pure with the world. She’s perfect…” “Yeah,” GamePlayer30 remarked, “Especially if you’re into ironing boards!” Before PikminMaster7 could retort with a comment of his own, Nicolai93 interrupted the feud and said, “Alright! It’s time for the meeting to begin!” Despite the difficulties in ignoring the strong smell coming from PikminMaster7, everyone instantly quieted down and listened to their leader.

“Now,” He began, “I first want to welcome our newest cardinals, ShadowMario41 and LordCrumpTheGreat, to this fine organization. In case you did not have a chance to meet the others, the user with the shell on his back is PrinceLudwig, the swordsman is PikminMaster7, and as I’m sure you know by now, the user in the armor is GamePlayer30.” LordCrumpTheGreat and I both nodded, confirming that we were acquainted with the other users, before Nicolai93 continued, “Excellent… now let’s get down to business. The mission we are about to undertake is extremely integral to the continued success of our organization. In fact, it may be our most important mission ever.” All five of us devoted our undivided attention to our boss as he spoke.

“I know that some of you have heard of this before, but just to make sure we’re all on the same page, allow me to tell you the story of the 1337.” “I knew it!” I exclaimed under my breath, as Nicolai93 just confirmed my suspicions as to why I was hired. Somehow, he must have known that I was involved with this object, which would lead him to get me in the organization to avoid any potential competition. Also, somewhat unrelated but still much to my surprise, I half-expected everyone in the room to scoff at the notion that the 1337 might actually exist, but they did not question him in the slightest, not even in their body language. The other cardinals had the utmost respect for their boss, meaning that he must be a phenomenal leader, an extremely powerful fighter, or a deadly combination of these attributes. As Nicolai93 explained the same story of the 1337 consistent with those that I had heard numerous times in the past two days, I began to realize just how real this situation was becoming. It seemed as if my involvement with the issue of the 1337 was now unavoidable. Falcon6’s word might not have been the most trustworthy, but there would be no way that a big-time group like this would waste their time with the 1337 unless they had some hardcore evidence affirming its existence. Judging by the tone of severity present in Nicolai93’s voice, this was an issue that could potentially impact the entire forum of NSider.

However, whereas other sources ended the story saying that any further information was unknown, Nicolai93 had a little more insight to add to the tale. “From what those in our organization have confirmed,” he said, “there are four pieces or ‘keys’, if you will, that are required to operate the device. All four of them are completely indestructible, so we don’t have to worry about them breaking or anything. Of course, our new primary objective is to collect all of the keys and claim the 1337 for ourselves.” “New plans!?” GamePlayer30 screamed, interrupting Nicolai93, “But I just finished memorizing the old plans!” PikminMaster7 whacked him on the head with the hilt of his rapier to silence him, and Nicolai93 glared at him before continuing, “Anyway, if we can succeed, then even the NOAs will be unable to contain our incredible power. Three of these keys are triangle-shaped artifacts that continuously radiate a golden light. We have confirmed the location of two of these three keys. One is in the possession of the Syndicate, so we will worry about that one later…” PrinceLudwig, GamePlayer30, and PikminMaster7 all scowled upon hearing Nicolai93 mention this while LordCrumpTheGreat and I were left relatively clueless to their reaction. Figuring it would be best to inquire about it later, we continued to listen to Nicolai93’s important information. “However, there is one additional fourth key that is shaped like a golden star. It does not radiate light like the others, but it is said to have some sort of reaction if it is in close proximity to one of the other three keys. The opportunity has presented itself for us to go after that key first.”

“But sir,” PrinceLudwig said, “isn’t one of the other keys needed to identify that one, like you said?” Nicolai93 chuckled a bit before responding, “Ha! Ha! Yes, normally you would be right, but we have pinpointed its exact location. In fact, it’s in the possession of one notorious user on NSider.” “Falcon6…” I said softly, causing the other four cardinals to look in my direction. Avoiding eye contact, I looked shyly towards the floor as Nicolai93 exclaimed, “Yes, Falcon6! That is exactly why ShadowMario41 is on our team.” I looked up at him and thought about what he was implying, but did not have time to ponder it much before PrinceLudwig interrupted, “The Hero of NSider? That arrogant fool? Really!?” “Yes really,” Nicolai93 affirmed, “You see, this plan is two-fold, so GamePlayer30 might have a tough time remembering it.” “Hey!” He shouted before being interrupted by LordCrumpTheGreat. “You know,” she said, “I’ve only been around for a little while but I can already tell he’s right.” “I knew I loved her for more than one reason,” PikminMaster7 chimed in, “she also has a sense of humor.”

“Excuse me,” Nicolai93 said softly, quickly raising the volume of his voice, “but are you quite finished!?” “Eep!” PikminMaster7 squeaked, “Sorry.” The boss of this organization was about to continue when he looked over at LordCrumpTheGreat who had one of her arms extended in the air, waving it slightly. Sighing rather loudly, Nicolai93 said, “Normally I don’t allow questions during my speeches…and you definitely don’t have to raise your hand. Since it’s your first day, I’ll give you this one pass… but it better not happen again.” “My bad…” LordCrumpTheGreat said sheepishly before speaking out again hesitantly, “I just wanted to ask…you said you know where two of the three keys are. Did you mean two of the three triangular keys or….what?” Unsure of how Nicolai93 would react to such a question, I looked back towards him, only to see a smile on his face. “Ah yes, I left out that little detail, didn’t I?” Nicolai93 said, seemingly proud of LordCrumpTheGreat for reminding him, “The second triangle key that we know of is in the Temple of Time, that historic landmark on the Legend of Zelda board. I don’t want to take any chances with that one… so after we get Falcon6’s precious star, we will all go after that one.” “You mean you’ll be joining us?” PikminMaster7 asked, to which the boss responded, “I may be able to handle such a thing alone… but I am not in a position to take any chances. All six of us will go there after the key in Falcon6’s possession is secured.” We all nodded, signifying that we understood and coaxing him to continue.

“Now back to the task at hand…” Nicolai93 said, “Since Falcon6 is such a high-profile user on NSider, the only way to safely get the star key from him is… well… if he’s dead. Simply murdering such a user would completely backfire, as news would spread extremely quickly and, if it were traced back here, this organization would undoubtedly have to deal with the unmerciful power of the NOAs. I am also positive that the moderators practically regard his word as the law, so stealing it from him would not work either. Really, the only solution is to take it from his dead corpse, which is what I intend to do.” It was at this point that I realized how big of a responsibility it was to be a member of the Nicolai93 Organization. They were not targeting criminals and thieves, but one of the most famous NSiders; the one that many people regard as a hero. This would truly be a difficult task but, judging by the look on Nicolai93’s face, he had some ace-in-the-hole tactic that he was about to share with us.

“Wait!” GamePlayer30 said, halting his boss’ speech, “If we get the 1337 first, then can’t we just kill Falcon6 with that?” Everyone, including me, was clearly irritated at this n00b-like question, but PrinceLudwig was the first to chime in, “Were you listening at all? Without all of the keys, the 1337 is useless…and Falcon6 has a key!” “Of course he doesn’t understand,” PikminMaster7 said, “he’s an idiot!” Both PikminMaster7 and PrinceLudwig looked towards me, expecting me to add to the barrage of insults, but I maintained my composure, as I desperately wanted to hear the rest of Nicolai93’s plan. “Wow…you’re no fun.” PikminMaster7 remarked as his gaze returned to his boss. “At least someone’s on my side!” GamePlayer30 screamed, to which I replied, “Other than working together… do not associate me with anything that has to do with you.” “Ha!” The swordsman remarked, now looking towards GamePlayer30, “He can talk after all!” A loud tapping sound echoed throughout the main hall, causing everyone to stop and look towards Nicolai93, who was feverishly tapping his foot on the floor, passive-aggressively demanding silence.

“As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by someone who will receive appropriate punishment later…” the look on GamePlayer30’s face turned to that of pure fear, as he sat up straight and gave his unwavering attention to Nicolai93. “…The reason why this is the golden opportunity to strike is that the Power On Power-Up Tournament is at hand. The tournament begins on September 1st… in exactly 13 days from now. Falcon6 competed in the last two events and I am certain that he will show up again. The thing about the tournament is that killing one’s opponent, while frowned upon, it actually permitted. Granted the opponent could yield at any time, but getting in the killing strike before then is perfectly legal. In fact, it’s the only event on NSider in which killing an opponent is allowed; even the Power On RP board has certain restrictions in place. Thus, if we kill Falcon6 during the tournament, the headlines will read ‘Hero of NSider Killed in Tournament’ instead of ‘Hero of NSider Murdered – Killer Wanted’. We would still get the key either way, so I would much rather avoid the resulting backlash from killing Falcon6 outside the tournament, don’t you agree?” We all nodded at Nicolai93, especially PrinceLudwig, who had a devious smile across his face. “Excellent,” the boss continued, “but the preparation for the tournament will not be easy. Starting tomorrow, you must all undergo an extreme training regimen for ten days straight. Only then will you all be ready.”

“H-How extreme is extreme?” GamePlayer30 asked with worrisome and fearful tones in his voice. Nicolai93 paused for a moment, thinking up an appropriate response before replying, “It will push you to your limits and beyond. It will cause you to surpass the limitations of normal users. It will…open the gates for you to reach levels of strength comparable to my own.” Everyone remained extremely silent as Nicolai93 looked around the room, making eye contact with each of us before continuing, “Very good… I don’t sense that any of you want to cop out on me. You are all committed…even GamePlayer30.” Nicolai93 took another long pause, then changed his tone of voice to something much more personable as he leaned forward in his chair, “Listen… beyond a shadow of a doubt, this will be hardest thing you all will have faced at this point in your lives. I am confident in your abilities, but it will require every ounce of effort and determination in your bodies.” Sitting back once more, his tone shifted once again back to a professional-sounding voice, “Each training program will be customized to enhance your respective skills and turn your weaknesses into your strengths. Well… today is your last day of rest before the training begins. Enjoy it…while you still can!”

No comments:

Post a Comment